Thursday, September 4, 2008

Week 1

QUICK INTRO
Today kicked off the start of the '08-'09 NFL season with a seemingly routine Giants win over the Redskins that showed us that the Giant's stellar defense that was able to (mostly) shut down the Patriots offense last Februrary is still in tact for the most part. Now that we've got the first game out of the way, its on to more important things, such as the 13 games this upcoming sunday that will provide a plethora of exciting action for both the everyday sports viewer as well as the avid football fan/sports gambler such as myself.

So, without further ado, I'll jump to it and give you my picks in a week so full of potential it'll fill any bookie with trepidation.


THE GOODS
First off, however, a quick breakdown of how I'm going to do this every week...

First i'll recap the previous week's selections then i'll make my picks.

I'll do two sections, one for proline picks where a "win" is by 4 or more points and the bet is multiplied by the amount shown. And a CentSports section where I'll display my cent sports bets which are based on the money line. Cent sports is a free betting website where you can turn 10 cents into real dough if you play your cards right. Here's a link to check it out here http://www.centsports.com/?opcode=212889 where you can become my "crony" and track my winnings (and losing). Currently I am up to $2.20.

The first week is always filled with unknowns, and because of that, it seems like upsets are plentiful, hence the majority of my picks this week will be on underdogs who I think are getting good value.

PRO-LINE
home team in bold

Minnesota over Green Bay (2.75)
Minny is a young team with a lot more experience this year and i think it will pay dividends early. Green Bay minus Favre and an running back who has seen barely a rep in the entire preseason raises a lot of doubts, if Rodgers doesn't start well, things could go sour quick and Minnesota could take it quite easily.

Jacksonville tie Tennesee (3.20)
These two divisional rivals always play it close and both have strong defenses, look for a FG to win it.

Miami over Jets (3.05)
Call me crazy, but i think the dolphins may just match the number of wins they had last season after week one. Ricky brings a one-two punch to the backfield with a healthy Ronnie Brown to back him up and I think it will take Favre another week or two to find his groove in the big city.

CentSports Picks:

Cincinnati (-2) over Baltimore (-110) - $0.40
Cinci's high powered offense should be able to disposed of a Joe "Flaccid Arm" Flacco and the Ravens who may be without McGahee in the backfield. Chalk one up for Ocho Cinco. (Note: Flacco supposedly can really hurl the ball, I just like the ring of "Flaccid Arm Flacco")

New Orleans (-3.5) over Tampa Bay (+105) - $0.50
Brees should be even better than last year and Garcia is on his last legs. Count on the Saints to run away with this key early divisional matchup.

Detroit (-3) over Atlanta (-115) - $0.45
Michael Turner could shine in his first role as a primary back, but even so, there are too many things going against Atlanta; Ryan is too young and has no really good target. "Kitty Kat" Kitna with his young guns at wideout should "Bolt" past the Falcons in week 1.

If I purchase any actual sports select tickets I'll post then at a later date.

1 comment:

Cloud said...

Nice blog Fiasco. But...Miami?